Please find below our daily SolBe Family update letter containing helpful resources and exciting projects to explore while we all do our part to stay home during this pandemic. Subscribe here to receive daily updates.
May 7, 2020
What better way to build on yesterday’s Giving Tree-themed activity than garden focaccia! Here is a fun recipe that takes a little patience, but worth the wait!
You will need
- 2 mixing bowls
- ¼ sheet pan (10 1/2 “ x 15 ½ “)
- 1 ¾ cups warm water
- 1 package (or 1 TBSP) Dry Active Yeast
- 1 TBSP sea salt
- 5 cups all-purpose flour (4 ½ cups if you use GF Flour)
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Whatever herbs you have in the fridge!
- In a small mixing bowl, combine warm water, yeast, and sugar. Let sit for 15 minutes. You will smell the yeast activate and start to bubble. Really get in there and smell it!
- In a mixing bowl (or your mixer’s bowl with hook) combine 1 TBSP of salt, ½ cup olive oil, 5 cups of flour, and the yeast mixture.
- Mix until combined well, continue for 4-5 minutes. This is a great step for the kiddos! Get in there! What’s it feels like? What’s it smell like?
- Coat another mixing bowl with olive oil, transfer dough into an oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let it sit for 1 hour.
- Take your sheet pan and coat with the other ½ cup olive oil.
- Add dough, pressing it into the corners so it expands across the whole surface.
- Arrange your herbs as you wish, get creative! Use any savory thing you have in the fridge.. Garlic, thyme, oregano, onions, chives, tomatoes, peppers, anything goes!
- Bake for 25 minutes at 350F
- Enjoy! I love dipping this bread in the Artichoke and Bean Spread we made last week, or dipping it in that Creamy Tomato Soup. My mom always served yeast bread with honey and salt for the yummiest treat in all the land!
Most important direction, as always: HAVE FUN!
More resources to follow in the coming days. Feedback and more ideas welcome.
Above all, be well and stay healthy!
Don't Miss A Beat: Subscribe For Daily Educational Resources
Subscribers receive daily educational resources during the COVID-19 Pandemic. We promise we won't spam your inbox, and that your information is safe with us.