Looking for a fun activity to do at home with your kiddos? We encourage you to try out this homemade playdough project!
2.5 cups water
1 1/4 c. salt
1 1/2 tbsp. cream of tartar (Included in the activity bag)
5 tbsp. vegetable oil
2.5 cups flour
Food coloring or liquid watercolors. (Included in the activity bag)
- Mix everything but the food coloring together in a large pot until somewhat smooth. It will be lumpy. Not to worry, the dough will get smoother as it cooks.
- Cook the dough over low heat. Mix frequently. The water will slowly cook out of the mixture and you’ll notice it starts to take on a sticky dough appearance. Keep mixing until the edges of the dough along the side and bottom of the pan appear dry. Pinch a piece of dough. If it’s not gooey, the dough is ready.
- Place the dough on a countertop or large cutting board that can withstand a little food coloring.
- Knead the warm dough until it’s smooth and then divide it into the number of colors that you’d like to make. I divided mine into four balls, flattened each of them, added a little bit of food coloring and then kneaded it in. I added more food coloring to get the desired shades of yellow, pink, teal, and lavender.
- Play with the dough right away or store it in a large Ziplock bag or sealed container. Unused, it’ll keep for months.